Wednesday, August 28, 2013

BLAST of SILENCE (1961)

You've watched a lot of films so far.  Some of you watch two noirs a day at school - along with the films you need to watch at home.  Good job.  You're getting those film watching calluses on your eyes.  Film watching isn't always easy - much to the surprise of the world, it can be hard work.  Especially when it's not from a genre or time period you are used to.  It takes a lot of energy, focus, and thought.  And, it can take some getting used to.  Getting a film degree in college was more time consuming and demanding than my roommates' majors in engineering and plant biology.  They were shocked with how much more energy and time I had to put in compared to them.  The filmmaker's path isn't an easy one, but it is freaking cool.  Just like an author has to be well-read, a filmmaker has to be well-watched. Like I mentioned in class, for every one western Tarantino makes, he probably watches 500 westerns (which, so far he's only made one - but almost all his films have heavy western influences - the more westerns you watch the more westerns you realize he's watched - it's pretty cool).  That dude is well-watched.  Get him in an interview where he discusses movies, and you can tell.  So, bear with us as we study important films from the genre.  I bet you Mr. Chris Nolan, king of Neo-Noir, has seen all the films we've watch, and hundreds more.  Keep going into each film with eager minds ready to think, learn, grow.  Minds ripe with creativity.

Ok, enough with the spiel, onto Blast of Silence.  

Narration.  That's something we hear a lot of in this film.  Narration that isn't really the protagonist's thoughts, rather narration that talks to the protagonist - but the protagonist doesn't hear it... or does he.

Narration is one of the key traits of film noir, but in this movie it's different.  It's almost as if the narrator is another character completely.  It is another voice actor.  Did that bending of that element of the genre work for you?  Why do you think the filmmakers chose to do it in that way?

Wow, there is so much to this film.  Better than I've seen a lot of slick modern action films about assassins, this one shows the reality of the deep loneliness in the life of someone with that line of work.  Being alone.  Alone.  Alone.  That was a reoccurring theme.   And, it showed the emotional complexity one in the killin' business's life is.  Could you imagine how awkward it would be to run into old playmates from your childhood, them asking what you do for a living, wanting to catch up with you?  How would you answer, how could you?  They can never really get to know you.  They can only know the lies, the cover up stories.  Not the real you. Loneliness.  Never having that special someone in your life you can fully connect with, bear your soul to.  Always having to keep your guard up, never sharing too much.  But that's the way he liked it, being alone.  Or was it?  His narrator kept saying so, but what do you think?

It's fun to see how these classics influence contemporary cinema.  The complexity of being a hitman who unexpectedly runs into old friends is very reminiscent of one of my favorite dark comedies of the 90s: Grosse Point Blank.  Here's the trailer, give it a look-see, you'll love it: GROSSE POINT BLANK TRAILER.  I've seen Grosse Point on some neo-noir lists, it didn't dawn on me before that it could fit into that genre, but now I see why.   If I were a gambling man, I'd be willing to bet anything the writers of this movie had seen Blast of Silence.

Tell me your thoughts on Blast of Silence.  Did you like it?  Why or why not?  How noiry is it, in your opinion?

What benefit do you see could come from fully, intensely understanding the genre, even if you're film in the end bends some of the rules?

19 comments:

  1. This movie was glorious. It was exciting, interesting and most of all, had a twist ending that I loved. 5/5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do you think it was so glorious?

      Delete
    2. Great question, Naomi. You raise the important point that, as great film scholars (which everyone in this class is), we need to justify our opinions.

      I'm excited to hear Carlos's articulated reasons as to why he thinks this film is glorious!

      Delete
    3. It was simply amazing. The entire movie was exciting, I never got bored for even a second, and most of all the twist ending was to die for. See what I did there?

      Delete
    4. i couldn't agree with Carlos more this movie was great this and sunset blvd. have been my favorite noirs we have watched.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol i really want to know what was said that josh deleted hahahah

      Delete
  3. Wow. What an ending.
    I liked it, although it wan't my favorite. I enjoyed the plot.
    I read on the TCM website that the ending was filmed during Hurricane Donna.
    Not sure whether or not thats true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could believe that it was true. If you look in the background, there is a storm of some sort going on. Or at least it is very cloudy.

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed the movie. so far in class this one has to be my favorite. I like narration of the movie. it let you know what's really going on in his while his doing a job. if you didn't hear what he is actually feeling. you'd think that he is cold hearted and that it didn't even bother him or come up on his raider. I didn't fall asleep while watching this one. it kept you on the edge of your seat the whole time. The end almost made cry, but I'm a manly man and didn't but it was a messed up ending I like it. from what I've learned in class I have to say this is a good example of film noir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definatly keeps your interest! From the first scene, with the dramatic shot from a train's perspective, to all the tense silence between the characters, it was intersting from both a writing perspective and a visual one.

      Delete
  5. This movie definitely has boring moments but personally, it's been one of the few Noirs I've enjoyed. The ending was surprising to me, thought he was going to to jail at the most but dies? That blows.

    Another thing I notice that narration was always in Third-Person tone. And that was kinda enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This movie was like a breath of fresh air for me. It felt much more modern in its characters, and especially the pacing. The people involved caught my attention in a way that many of the other film noirs we have watched didn't. They felt more real to me, more gritty, more down to earth. I enjoyed that aspect very much.

    I loved the narration. A big theme in this movie is lonliness, and being alone. The fact that the narrator was a different actor than the main man helped further separate him from the rest of the world. He always mentioned things about his distaste toward the world, and with that, he crawled back inside of himself. As if it was so much better to be alone than to suffer the hardship of the "real world".

    I never would've thought it would end the way that it did. It caught my off guard, and maybe that's a good thing. I love being surprised by the plot as long as it makes sense in the world. I thought that how detached he became from the world was a certain flaw, but I didn't think it would be the end of him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this movie was honestly pretty great and i feel like the narration is what really made it great to me. the narration that almost seams as though its coming from a psychologist is brilliant and to my knowledge this the first time that narration has ever been used this way. I'm fairly certain that they chose this style of narration to add a certain depth to the character to almost make us see through there eyes and to attempt to even show use the smallest details. this movie has a lot of great elements in it form the realistic portrayal of an assassin to the unique and interesting narration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This movie was one of my favorites and it was really fun and funny and amazing and i really liked the guy with the rats he was a really awesome roll to me. This movie had a dark but interesting feel in my eyes, it was intriging and it pulled me into the movie instead of boring me. Me, being myself gets lost and confused in every movie i watch so i didnt even understand the ending but i feel left out because everyone is saying what a great ending it hard, sigh, lol oh well (: I still enjoyed it (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a great ending it HAD, not HARD haha sorry

      Marina_

      Delete
  9. i this the movie was great. i also believe that the main charactor could hear the voice over, he seemed like he was trying to convince him self how he liked to be alone. maybe his concious was the person he had always wanted to me. strong, confident and sure of him self. while his body and mind was constintally doubting hi self and acting human. while his mind was explaining for the way he acted how he was still a tough guy with no love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i really enjoyed this one. i found the lead character interesting with him trying to go back to a normal life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This movie was pretty good it caught my attention and i have the attention span of a chipmunk. This one was a easy film to sit through

    ReplyDelete