Monday, August 26, 2013

Film Noir Extra Credit or Make-up Work

If you missed a day of class (when we were studying film noir) or would simply like some extra credit, then you can do one of the following:

  • Do research on film noir and learn something about film noir or about a film noir movie that we haven't already learned in discussed in class. Comment below and state your name, how much time you researched for, what you learned, and why what you learned matters.
  • Watch a film noir we didn't watch in class and write a comment below in which you state your name, the name of the movie, the ways in the which the movie is a typical film noir and the ways in which it isn't, what you learned from the movie that will help you write your film noir script, and anything else you feel is important.
  • Do some other activity approved by Josh or Will. Report on said activity in a comment below.

3 comments:

  1. I recently watched Momento directed by Christopher Nolan. Nolan is known for incorporating Noir in all his films and there were definitely a lot in this film. From questionable characters to femme fatales to an out of order plot and even some scenes in black and white this film is definitely a neo noir and it is excellent and will blow your mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to two panels but the one was to sell his book so that didn't help much. The other one "what it is?" was okay. I have learned that "steam punk" is what history could have been. steam punk is Victorian period with future features. The things attached with steam punk is gears, goggles, robots, dirty air and factories. Its sad to say the panels weren't really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angell Chandler-
    After watching several film noirs over the period of me being sick I watched a few of the film noirs that I could actually find, and here are my opinions on all of them.

    Who Framed Roger Rabbit-
    This is one of my favorites from being a child, and now that we were researching it as a film noir I was rather excited. I definately would say that this was more neo noir, it follows the same plot line as a film noir would but with a cartoonish style. Overall it was a wonderful movie. Here we had Jessica Rabbit playing the role of the usual femme fatale character, which I really liked. It was a great movie and certainly one that I would suggest.

    Momento-
    Wow! That is all I can say. This movie certainly blew me away especially with the way the story all came together. It was certainly one of those thrillers that kept you on your seat begging to know what will happen next, and I loved it. Doing some further research after the movie I found out that the directer, Christopher Nolan, actually based it off of his younger brother's short story "Memento Mori". I thought that was a very interesting fact. Overall I suggest that you watch it if you haven't yet. It was really good~

    The Missing Person-
    This was another movie that kept me waiting for more. I really like the idea of the whole story, someone making a new life for themselves after 9/11 and a investigator hired to watch their moves. I really think it was just overall amazing. I don't want to give too much of the story away here, but I do feel that you should watch it. Also because I feel it is more a comedy-ish movie. Not as dark as you would expect.

    ReplyDelete