Monday, May 12, 2014

GENRES: Sci-fi at Home

This is the place where you get to post about the awesome Sci-fi something that you watched at your house. For this assignment, you can either watch a feature-length Sci-fi movie you've never seen before or watch an episode from a Sci-fi TV show you've never seen before (i.e. you have never watched the series). If you choose to watch an episode, it needs to be at least an hour long (or two 30 minute episodes).

After you finish watching this lovely Sci-fi thing in your abode, please answer ALL of the following questions:

  • What did you watch?
  • Would you recommend that other members of the class watch it? Why or why not?
  • What social or philosophical questions were explored in the movie/episode you watched?
  • How did watching the movie/episode help you get ideas for the script you will write?
  • If you watched a TV show, do you plan on watching more episodes? Why or why not?
  • What other thoughts do you have about what you watched?

5 comments:

  1. I watched Star Trek II: The wrath of Kahn and I would totally recommend it to everyone. This film is a great example of sci-fi and a great piece of Star Trek cinema in general.

    This film poses the question of whether or not one can play God. No, no, you cannot. Whether this is Earth or, "this is Ceti Alpha V!" I put that joke in just for you. Because you are special and stuff.

    This film didn't help me with my idea because I drew the idea from personal events, but it did help me enjoy the genre more than I ever have.

    That's all I have to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. "The needs of the many, out weigh the needs of the few."

      Delete
  3. I don't want to put X-Men Days of Future Past, because so I'm gonna do it on my Favorite sci-fi this year; HER.

    I would recommend this to everybody because it is just a beautiful flick. some might complain that this movie is too long but the relationship of the characters, the beautiful done narrative, and the great acting is what makes this movie run smoothly.
    It really focused on love and relationships throughout the movie, but one of the other themes, at least in my opinion, is how technology is growing, and how we need to not rely on technology as much as we do. i think it plays on that really well with the main character relying on a computer for love.

    It didn't really help me with my script, the only thing i used from this was the advanced A.I. But still, great movie for Sci-Fi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Star Trek into darkness.

    I decided to watch Star Trek into darkness instead of the killer tomatoes cause I couldn't find that movie anywhere. I, for one, loved Star Trek into darkness and I thought it was way better then the first movie and I would recommend it to the people in the class.

    It did explore the question of should you believe Khan or not? should you trust him and believe what he says even if you just found him. Do you believe the words of someone else or believe what your gut tells you.

    Sacrifice was also a theme in this movie along with friendship. To sacrifice yourself for your crew, to save everyone even if it means dying and the friendship of this film. What would you do to save your friend?

    I loved this film and I wouldn't mind watching it more then once.

    ReplyDelete