Wednesday, November 5, 2014

EXTRA CREDIT: Them (2006)

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!


As a fun, internationally, Halloween treat, we watched Them, or in French, Ils.  I'm excited to know what you guys think.  This is just extra credit, so don't stress about getting it done, but if you want to share your thoughts about this and get some free bonus points, well, that'd be awesome!

This movie was selected to be in oodles of festivals.  It was nominated for oodles of awards at these festivals, including best picture at the Neuchatel International Film Festival and at the Sitges-Catalonian International Film Festival.   




Different types of horror resonate with different people - some people are deeply terrified of creepy clowns.  Others are deeply affected by monsters.  Others are terrified of ghosts.  For me, the scariest thing are intruders - real people with twisted desires to hurt others.  Man, that gets to me...  And Ils executes this kind of terror expertly, and thus it succeeds in reaching deep into my soul and giving me the chills!  Two thumbs up from me. 


  • What'd you think?  Did you think it deserves the praise it got?  Why or why not?
  • Did you enjoy the movie?
  • If you are a horror movie fan, how does this one rank in your opinion?




2 comments:

  1. I think that this movie did deserve the praise it got. It conveyed the story in a good way to where you felt fear and sympathy towards the protagonists of the story.

    I enjoyed this movie a lot. Although I felt no fear in it, which is heavily due to PC horror games which numb you to a lot of scary things, I definitely felt the fear it was meant to wrap others in. The last bit of it, the kids getting on the buss and the quotes, still after a week stick out to me a lot.

    I am a horror movie fan, but I only rank them as good, bad, and so bad they are funny. This one would go into the good section, which I am happy to say because the only ones worth watching are the good ones and the so bad it's funny ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think this movie deserved the praise it got.I thought the story was really well written and the characters had a depth to them which, as Ben said, made it easier to sympathize with their situation.

    I really enjoyed the movie. I came late on Halloween and it was really nice to walk into. It didn't really scare me (and that might have had something to do with the fact that we were watching it in school). I thought the movie had a really gripping story and it did a really good job of pulling you in and keeping you entertained (and in suspense).
    I've never been a huge horror fan, but I've come across a few in my lifetime that I could watch over and over such as:
    Return of the Living Dead: (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089907/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)
    Return of the Living Dead 3: (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107953/?ref_=nv_sr_2)
    Dead Silence: (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455760/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)
    Wicked Little Things (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0470000/?ref_=nv_sr_1)
    and Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408236/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) to name a few. :)

    Although I did think it was a really good movie, there were a few things that bothered me. Firstly, the protagonists were constantly shouting. If it was me, I would have been "Dead Silent" to remain undetected by the antagonists. Secondly, the scene with the woman reaching out through the grate by the freeway also really upset me because it seemed to emphasize how ignorant and unobservant people are or how people just don't seem to care. I mean, someone had to have seen her right? (The filming in that scene was really exceptional, though.) Lastly, I hated how the antagonists got off scot-free. You'd think a bunch of kids getting on a bus covered in dirt and smelling of sewage would raise a few red flags, right?

    Overall, I rate this movie 9/10 and I'm adding it to my list of favorite horror films.

    ReplyDelete